Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Race Cars and Tutus

10 days ago my kiddos turned three-years-old.  And the fact that I'm just now getting a chance to post pictures of the party is just evidence to the reality that life has a way of happening to me sometimes.  But I suppose just making the effort is better than just throwing in the towel... as my mom used to say, 'better late than never.' 
We were privileged with some special guests that really helped to make the party extra exciting.   Nonnie and Poppie as well as their Aunt Jessica and cousin Daisy drove from Tennessee just for the special day.   Many a birthday has been spent crowded around my parent's large round table, and this particular day wasn't any different.  Aunt Jo (Joy), Mo Mo (Molly), Collin, Me Me, Pops ('Pots'), Jon, and I were of course a part of the fan fare as well.  All in all, it was a fairly laid back day with lots of family time, just the way we Booths like it!




Daisy or "Baby Daisy" as the kids call her.  
Jessica and Daniel's almost 6-month-old little girl




Playing in the big sand box


Jessica and Daisy

We spent the first half of the day at Stone Mountain Park.  Driving through those familiar gates was like strolling casually to the past.  Memories of days gone by itched at my subconscious, like smelling something that sends you back in time.  It was neat to retrace some old steps.  There is so much to do there, but we opted to spend time playing on the playground and strolling in the woods.

Eli and Hannah on the hike






"A three year old child is a being who gets almost as much fun out of a fifty-six dollar set of swings as it does out of finding a small green worm."


I found this quote and it really struck a chord with me.  Regardless of all the effort I put up to make their party special, i.e. delightful food, fun games, bang-up decorations, my kids are just as content and happy to be playing in the sand box.  The simplicity of their desires and the ease with which they happily embrace life where they are is teaching me great lessons.  I love this about my children.








The themes for our party were Princesses and Race Cars. 


Hannah in her birthday hat
 ...she was actually happy.  Seriously, she was.  



Ballerina Princess Cupcakes
Almond pound cake cupcake 
with white chocolate, strawberry cream cheese icing.







Race Car Cupcakes 
Red velvet (in honor of Lighting McQueen) cupcakes 
with cookies and cream cheese icing



My attempt to make a model race track... on a budget. 
I know it's border line 2nd grade work, or maybe even kindergarden.  
But I love my boy, and I'll even test my artistically challenged side to make him happy.


Fun parties can be very exhausting!

1 comment:

Johnna said...

LOVE the Kindergarten work! Seriously! LOVE LOVE! WISH I could have been there : ( Next year!