Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Dilemma

As a child my family's menu consisted of two choices:
take it or leave it.
~Buddy Hackett

Has anyone else dealt with a child who refuses to eat their veggies or perhaps the meal that you've worked to prepare? Well, that is the case in our home nearly every night. Eli simply does not want any part of whatever vegetable is served - and if it's green, forget it! So, inevitably we work hard throughout the meal to try to entice, bribe, coerce, and to do all manner of methods frowned upon in the 'parental world.' But I say, who cares? I want my children to learn to eat things they don't like, to at least try them. So the battle ensues and we plunge forward and persevere knowing that there is a 50/50 chance that some day our children will indeed get over it, eat their veggies, and maybe, maybe thank us for helping them learn to like their veggies . That's what we all hope for, right? Balanced, healthy children with a right attitude about eating healthy.

Hannah holding an unwanted bite of food, unwilling to give in just yet.


The struggle!


I feel this struggle so acutely because this is where I am today, right now! In so many ways I can identify with this struggle, the knowledge that I must do something because my Father says I should, though it is NOT what I want. I know that it must be good for me, because He is always good. But inevitably I will whine, pout, groan, and just down right fuss until finally at last I submit my will and embrace what He has for me. What a dilemma! Even now my children are learning to submit over something as small as a serving of veggies, and what I wish I could tell them and that they would understand is; GET USED TO IT! Unfortunately, it's never that easy.

SWEET REWARDS
So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask him. Matt 7:11

The entire time that Eli and Hannah struggled through the battle of will and submission, I knew what awaited them in the end - an oh so sweet treat - ice cream! Their eyes lit up and their smiles couldn't have gotten any bigger when I set that bowl of goodness in front of them. Needless to say, the ice cream was eaten and gone much faster than the veggies.
I have witnessed again and again in my life that regardless of the struggle, God does indeed work good into situations that seem nearly, if not entirely at a loss. He is walking with us all through various trials, small or large, and telling us to trust Him, submit, and wait perhaps. And boy, do I fight it! Yet, He is so gracious, patiently guiding me through each bout of my will, assuring me of His plan and His desire to grow me, and reminding me that He will never leave me. I am always amazed at how He brings us through it and the way He works to bring about endless, soul-filling, heart comforting blessings that fill us back up and strengthen our faith. God is faithful and He has and always will bring gracious sweet rewards to those willing to submit and trust.

Finally!

Sweet Endings!

1 comment:

breezyone said...

Bets, Thanks for letting us peak into your lives through your blog. Oh I remember the days of getting our kids to eat their veggies. You guys are doing such a great job. We love you. Wendy