Friday, February 18, 2011

Getting the Field Ready

It's been a while since I've felt the sharp stinging pain from a thorn, but I felt it today - plenty. Today the kids and I packed a lunch and made our way up to my great aunt's home in Monroe. Far removed from the frenzied feel of Atlanta, I felt I could breath again. I kept wanting to take deep breaths of air as I felt myself relaxing into my surroundings. Today was about visiting my aunt, who at 83 years old owns and works 16 acres of land by herself. Every year my aunt Lois sows seed and nurtures a garden full of vegetables, and this year I have the opportunity to take part in the process.

Aunt Lois

The Garden Area Pre-Clearing

We pulled and worked to clear that weedy field for the better part of two hours. Throughout the morning, I felt so aware of how much the process of clearning mirrors my own life experience. How often I feel that God works to pull and clear problems and hang-ups that choke the life out of me. It's messy and full of thorns, and pain often accompanies the healing. However, the growth that ensues is wonderful!



One of the best parts about visiting aunt Lois is getting the chance to run and play. Hannah and Eli helped clear, but they also played, and played, and played! I always say that it's been a good day when you've gotten some dirt on you.





Lunch Time!


A Hug Post Chocolate Chip Cookie


Sharing the Love


All Done


I love the feeling of a productive day!


And so does Hannah! :)

1 comment:

breezyone said...

Great Post Betsy. I could almost feel the warm air and sensation of dirt on my hands. Hannah and Eli looked like they had a blast. I love that they love the outdoors like their mom and dad. Please keep your blog posting going. I know it takes time and effort, but it makes me feel like we get to live life with you. I am thrilled that you get this opportunity to work with your Aunt Lois. What a wealth of knowledge she will be for you. And I am sure you guys are being a blessing to her. Much love from us. Wendy