Monday, April 18, 2011

Getting Ready for the Girls





“Most people don’t have any idea about all the complicated life going on inside a hive. Bees have a secret life we don’t know anything about.”
~ The Secret Life of Bees ~



You just might be wondering what's up with all the bee references on the blog?  Well, for those who don't know I've decided to dive into a new hobby - bee keeping.  My interest in the subject began to grow a few years back after reading a popular book, The Secret Life of Bees (the book is way better than the movie).  I am fascinated by the driven and motivated nature of such a small yet complicated creature.  Their community is built on order and hard work, they value each member of the colony, and they all work together.  I have so much to learn about these brilliant creatures, and I am excited about being a student again.
The girls are set to be ready for pick-up on May 7th.  So while waiting on the bees (plus the hive) I have been collecting all the needed gear.  Today, I received my first pieces of bee keeping equipment and it got me really excited!  Of course I also experienced that feeling of butterflies and a twinge of anxiety.  I'm wondering if I'm really cut out to do this.  But honestly, I am thrilled to watch a small but incredibly vital part of creation go to work.  I know that I will learn real-life practical lessons from them, and I will learn about them.  I know I will get stung and pain will go along with the process, but my desire to learn will hopefully trump my fear of pain!  I'm hoping to blog about my experiences as I go along, sharing my insights, blunders, and moments of awe.  And for some, I hope to also share some of the reward, honey!


 Smoker, Hive Tool, and Sheep's Skin Gloves

Still to come, a veiled hat and heavy clothing

Lastly, while getting ready to throw myself into the this process I have come to learn that bee keeping has been a family practice in the past.  My great-grandfather (my mother's grandfather) was also a bee keeper.  I've heard little snippets of stories my mother has shared about my great grandfather.  In a strange way, I feel somehow connected to history in my desire to pursue this hobby.  Perhaps the mindset of sustainability and nurturing the land are passed down through generations, even when no personal connection lies between the family members.  I have thought how neat it would be to be able to sit down with my great-grandfather and glean from his knowledge.  But since that is impossible, I guess I have to learn as I go.

So here goes, a new beginning and new adventure awaits.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Way to go Betsy!!! Proud of you! I've heard that many women are getting into this "cottage" industry! Mr. Pat had bees in Dothan when we lived there and a couple of years ago someone donated three hives to WVR-nothing quite as good as mountain honey!!!