Sunday, September 4, 2011

A favorite Meal

Fact:The average hen lays 250 to 270 eggs a year.




My dear in-laws are officially chicken farmers!  They have been nurturing and maintaining a thriving group of 5 noisy hens (or 'girls' as they refer to them) for about a year now.  The first things my kids always want to do when we go to Nonnie and Poppie's home is to see the chickens!  I'm nearly as excited as they are to receive the inevitable dozen or so eggs that are graciously given to our family to enjoy after every visit to their house.  


One of my favorite ways to utilize eggs is to make quiche.  This meal is often served at our table and is loved by us all.  I enjoy making quiche, and I've discovered that I can make double the amount and freeze half (unbaked) in a pre-made pie shell for a day when I need it.  Below I'll share one of the many ways I like to bake it up! I'll give the measurements for a single batch.





For the Egg Base:
4 Eggs, beaten (sometimes I'll throw in one more)
1 3/4 C. 2% Milk
1/4 C. Sour Cream
1 1/2 C Shredded Cheese (Mozzarella or Cheddar as in this photo)
1/8 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1/4 tsp. Salt
 1/4 tsp. Pepper 








Add-Ins:
Onions and mushrooms Sautéed with garlic (use amounts you will enjoy)
Slightly cooked broccoli
4 Slices thick-cut bacon, cooked crispy







Pre-bake your pie crust and allow time to cool.  Then sprinkle some of the Add-ins on the bottom.  Mix the rest of the add-ins to the liquid base.



 Pour egg mixture into shell and bake at 350 for 10 minutes then back it down to 325 for 1 hour.



Allow it to cool then serve it up with soup and/or salad, and some hot crusty bread! So Delicious!  


Random Bit of Information:

When I think of quiche I immediately associate this dish with French cuisine.  But upon research I came to find its roots to be German.  What?? Exactly my thought.  It was originally given the name, Kuchen’ which is German for 'cake.'  The idea of the quiche was supposedly born during medieval times in the kingdom Lothringen.  I know, medieval German kingdoms don't exactly resonate in your mind when you consider quiche.  I'm thinking quaint little backery, side of soup or salad, and perhaps some coffee afterwards.  How about some Kuchen served in an earthen bowl along side your huge mug of ale or mead... not exactly what I think about.  I'm sure the classic quiche has been refined over the centuries, but what a wild beginning! I am glad to be serving this age old dish on our table today. 



No comments: