Wednesday, November 9, 2011

FINALLY



I know, I know.  You're probably thinking that the title refers to my dire need to catch up with my blogging, but it doesn't!  Actually, it has to do with the fact that it has taken 3+ years to finally connect a group of children that have been separated by distance and time.  

 September of 1999 brought a tsunami of change to my world, sweeping me away into a life I had only imagined in my deepest of dreams.  And somewhere along that life-changing ride, I encountered a person who redefined the meaning of friendship.  Johnna and I quickly started what still remains today to be a friendship bond like that of a sister.  There are few with whom I have ever laughed or cried so fully.  I have had the honor of sharing with her such intense years of becoming, changing, and growing up.  Somehow in the midst of all the various changes, experiences, and the degree of distance geographically we have remained close.  It is a God thing... what more can I say?  


Johnna and her husband, Hunter decided to celebrate their 10-year anniversary by retracing the setting for the start of  their relationship in Montreat and Black Mountain, North Carolina.  Since their trip took them just a few hours from our home, Jon and I had the joy of being able to hang out with and take care of their two kiddos for them.  These two children brought such fun and entertainment to our home for the week they were here.  Hannah and Eli were thrilled to have them, so much so that Eli claimed Jack as his best friend within minutes of his arrival.   Ellie and Jack opened my children's eyes to a new world just outside their front door.  On the warmer days, the kids would spend their time running and playing in the yard.  Imagination and exploration were the naturally abounding themes throughout the week.  Barefoot and tromping through the grass, a train of laughter and little voices that were getting caught up in their world of make-believe.   Glass jars with holes poked in the lid, lady bugs, wet feet in the creek, tag, races, forts, hide-outs, and the list goes on.  I remember those days, imagination was like breathing, involuntary and nearly tangible.  But the sweetest of all treats was just the joy that Johnna and I shared of getting to see our children play together.  We were both so pleased to FINALLY be able to introduce our children to one another.  


 Their first night here.  Aunt Johnna reading everyone their night time story.



Their second day here, everyone went together to a corn maze and 'pumpkin patch.'  


 Eli and his new best-friend.  This was the start of our corn maze experience.  



That look says, 'which way do we go?'

The corn field was a good idea until the temperature rose about 100 degrees, we started running out of water, children started needing to potty, feet started hurting = carrying kids on shoulders, the adults were getting frantic (and yes, we all stomped through some corn - I know... cheaters), and frankly, we were lost... in a CORN MAZE!  Ridiculous.  Needless to say, I was pretty happy when we finished.






 Hannah's expression says it all. 



Dearest of friends






Walking through the 'Pumpkin Patch'



   













Salamander Hunting





Looking for Lady Bugs




Fall Tree Craft




Ellie Making Eggs for Breakfast




Playground Time






No comments: