Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Apple Pie is Always a Good Idea

Please excuse me as I blow a thick layer of neglect off my keyboard and attempt to catch up on the mountain of details called life that has happened this month!  We have been busy (can you tell) and I'm afraid that my blogging has suffered as a result.  The treasure of experiences this month runs deep and I fear that with everything we've done I won't be able to hold your attention in one blog post.  Therefore, I will attempt to present it all in small bites so stay tuned!  


A is for Apple:

I am pretty sure that we have rung every bit of life out of the fall season as we frequently checked activities off of our Fall Bucket list.  It has been a full and thrilling month.  The weekend of October 1st, we made a trip to Western NC to catch up with friends and visit an apple orchard local to the area.  We visited Sky Top Orchards two years ago on an outing with friends on a cold and wet November day that clouded in what I was sure at the time to be an beautiful view.  We still had loads of fun pulling apple after apple from the tree and putting them into our basket.  But this time around I'm confident that October had its best on for us as the day could not have been more amazing.  The air was crisp, the sky blue and clear, and the sun was bright!  Such a gorgeous day!  




In preparation for our weekend apple picking trip, the kids did several crafts to help them learn about apple trees and the process of growing apples.  Thank you, Pinterest for all the great ideas that my craft-challenged brain could not conjure up on its own!

SKY TOP ORCHARDS.  FLAT ROCK, NC.







































Our basket running over with Fuji and Granny Smith














Our friends Megan and Aaron's little addition, Salem


Hannah's third or fourth apple... we kind of lost track.













Full Baskets and ready to call it quits


 Family meal at a favorite restaurant in Asheville




We wrapped up our apple picking extravaganza with the Booth family tradition of making homemade apple pie.  Their pie is usually reserved for Thanksgiving or Christmas only, but we've broken the rule a good number of times because I simply cannot go an entire 12 months without one!  Such a perfect ending to our apple orchard experience.  As far as I'm concerned, apple pie with a cloud of whipped cream is ALWAYS a good idea!

No comments: