Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Biscuits and Bacon, "Just Like Mama (Mammy) Makes"


I wonder how many people in my generation could walk into their kitchen at any given time and whip out the necessary ingredients to make a mean biscuit? I would wager a guess that there probably aren't too many.  And I'm sure that most of my health conscious friends would probably frown upon the idea of feeding their children white flour, buttermilk, and lard, baked up with a pat of butter (essentially more lard).  But let's be honest here, who doesn't like a good southern style hot, crispy on the top, steamy and soft in the middle biscuit hot out of the oven?  Go ahead and pass... I dare you!

Well, last week I told my mom, the token biscuit maker for my side family, that I need a tutorial.  I fully intend to pass on this tradition, healthy or not and give my children the chance to participate in a tradition that my great-grandmother, grandmother, and mother have worked to sustain.  And for those who may think it's a simple thing, biscuit making requires lots of determination, suave,  patience, and whole lot of southern spirit.  It truly is in its own way a form of art.  These fluffy works of art certainly have a deeply rooted history, sustaining multitudes of people throughout time.  These days they are considered more as an option, however in days past the biscuit used to be a staple in the diet.  Girls were taught the basics of baking with their mothers as the worked through the daily routine of making biscuits.

In these modern times, the biscuit has evolved into something that can still be tasty, but in my opinion has moved from it's genuine roots.  Pretty much any fast food place will serve something on a what they deem to be a biscuit, but I bet the great-grandmothers from days gone by would shake their heads and laugh - those are not the same.


So, here was my attempt to follow along side my mom with a goal of learning the 'family secret,' which is really no secret at all... it's just plain 'ol southern goodness.


 The dynamic trio: Crisco, Buttermilk, and White Lily Self-rising Flour
 (the only brand my mom will use)


 It's hard pill to swallow, but yes, true biscuits are made with lard.  
But this is essential and not too long ago bacon grease was the lard of choice.


 Gloveless?  You better believe it, making good biscuits has a great deal to do with touch.  In this case, my mom showed me how important it was to understand 
the feel of the flour once the crisco was pinched (by hand) into the flour.


 Once the flour and crisco have been worked sufficiently, it's time to pour in that necessary item.  And don't try to mimic Buttermilk.  The morning of this biscuit making lesson we were out and I suggested making a substitute for the butter milk and my mom would not have it.  
Substitutes won't cut it, it has to be the real thing.   


 More mixing. 
 For those more squeamish about getting their hands dirty, this is not for you.  
Time to begin working in more flour into the dough.






 Eli and Hannah also had their own side lesson






 What kid doesn't enjoy playing in bread dough? 


 Still gently working the flour into the dough, 
pulling it from the edges in swirling, stirring motions.



 Done and ready to go onto the greased pan.


 Pulling off a section of dough, rolling it, and tucking the edges under.


 The Line Up
Mammy likes to have them snuggled up close together on that pan.  Pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees and pop them in for 8 minutes - it doesn't take long.


Hannah working her dough


 DONE










So, you may wonder what the big deal is with this recipe.  Throughout my years growing up this was a breakfast that my mom would make on occasion.  It is now the most requested meal whenever my siblings and their families come to visit.   I know my mom takes such delight in making this treat, and I believe that in some way it allows her to stay connected with her own mom.  I can imagine that with every batch there is laced throughout memories untold, moments that can only be explained through the smell and feel of worked dough and hot baked goodness. Like a machine meant to take us back in time, I can only guess that her biscuits are a link to the past.  I know that without a doubt they are a link to my past and a certain part of my future.

Hungry Yet?




4 comments:

breezyone said...

reminds me of my "MaMa's" bisquits. She made them the same way. Boy would I like to have one right now.

Jessica said...

Ok, you are making me hungry and giving inspiration to maybe actually try to make Mammy's famous biscuits. However, despite all the baking we do around here, I don't think I have any of the ingredients!

Autumn said...

Hi Betsy! Found your blog through Johnna's and its so fun to get a glimpse of you and your sweet family! I've heard so much about you and would love to get to meet you someday... I'd also love to get to eat your cooking someday:), everything looks DELICIOUS!

Joy Martin said...

This looks absolutely yummy !!! ...and professional as well :-) thanks for sharing the love !!